Sunday, August 02, 2009

Dream Crafting

I once had a dream - a dream of a musical dressage freestyle performance. I watched every upper level musical freestyle I could, collected articles, I sat with video footage of Oki and a metronome to determine the normal speed of his gaits, I collected possible music saved in an iTune play list titled "An Oki Event" and figured out what I needed to know in Garage Band so I could put together the music end of the performance. It was a wonderful combination of two of my loves: music and horses. This is the best example of what my dream looked like. Amazing performance! There was of course a major flaw in my plan - since I don't have the riding talent, the execution relied on someone else. And whenever something depends on another, it is completely out of your control.

However, my dreams die hard and this one has been restructured in a way I could have never possibly imagined. That dream was my previous post - musical freestyle with my girls. The best part is that much of the information I had collected to do dressage musical freestyle is applicable to canine musical freestyle. One of my favorite things is finding music, editing, and designing the routines. I have 14 songs already edited down to the standard 2 - 2.5 minutes and more keep popping into my head. Training my girls to do what they need to and when will take much longer but I am having a complete blast. We continue to do library performances and I am learning so much. I have a great teacher and wonderful resources in several excellent dog trainers. The practice I do without my girls to perfect the timing is keeping me physically fit. I am also incorporating my art into the routines. And the great thing is that because it is "free" style me and my girls can continue to do it even if physical constraints affect any of us!

No matter how old I am, I will always have and pursue my dreams - that way I will never truly be old! Pursue your dreams and don't let them depend on others!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a remarkable ability to make your dreams come true. I love your vision and admire your energy. You are an inspiration to me! Thanks for sharing your dreams and allowing us, your admirers, to see the results. QK

Debbie said...

That is very funny QK - I've always admired your visions, intelligence and energy - AND fashion sense (and common cents) ;)

Anonymous said...

I just watched the Dazzle Dogs video you sent to me. What a kick! You and your dogs did a great job. I loved the comments I could hear from the kids, too. I did catch the teeny “scoot” that Penny did, but it wasn’t very noticeable, and I’m sure everyone else thought it was part of the dance. (It did make me laugh a bit.) Maggie did a really good job, too, and she is so animated! I have only seen photos of Maggie. She’s a gorgeous girl and her personality really comes out in the video. Of course, you know I absolutely love our precious Penny, who looked oh so beautiful as well.

I can certainly see where this combines elements of both agility and obedience, and I’m sure the musical aspects are very appealing to you, too. I think this is a very nice fit with your dogs’ talents and your interests.

QK

Kerri Jean said...

Great post - about dreams, life, and age. You are amazingly driven, Debbie. Congats on another dream realized!

Anonymous said...

What a truly wonderful post. I think it's one of your best ever.

Love d

Anonymous said...

Well said, Debbie!!
& You & your Poodle girls ROCK!!!

Tara, Hermes & Leda