Thursday, July 10, 2008

Vogue

This is probably the only one of the Hubbard Hall boards that I like. I had this pencil sketch kicking around for awhile, wanting to "colorize" it. This is all acrylic with some pen. I sort of used the technique that Kerri used for her boards. The MFD was coated with white gesso. Then I lightly penciled in the drawing. I filled in the basic colors. Then I painted in the background. I did this because I was petrified that I would end up screwing up my main subject by blopping background paint right in the center of the subject's face. I then painted in my lovely lady and penned in line work. I then put a mask over Miss Vogue and dropped in texture using a background stamp inked with a Color Box chalk ink pad.

Now comes the tricky part. I liked it as it was. I was going to drop in the words "V-O-G-U-E" vertically down the side. I was really nervous to do it. I felt that it needed nothing more. Was this true, or was I being lazy? Or was I nervous I'd ruin it with that "one-last-thing" like I frequently do with my art. Sometimes I just don't know when to quit.

So I stamped the words on a transparency to see how it would look. this is a scan of it. I still think I like it just plain. But I figured I would show my devoted fans and get some independent opinions. I have looked at it way too much. If I put the lettering in, I probably should start the word with the "V" where the "O" is. Hum...

3 comments:

Marilyn Rock said...

This is terrific! Love the background with her! I do like the word Vogue there on the second shot.

Kerri Jean said...

Hi Debbie,
Are you getting my emails? I wasn't able to post a comment here yesterday so I sent an email instead. I am just paranoid since the one lost email last month. I vote for the vogue - done softly just like this sample!! The letters anchor her. Love this - the background is fabulous!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think the word VOGUE is lost in the background, at least in the scan you produced. I like the concept, but I think the lettering needs to be more distinct. I would make the letters a bit narrower (so they don’t interfere with the figure) and a different color (perhaps half-tone black). Other than that, I love both the red-gloved lady and the background. She’s a keeper! QK