Sunday, June 01, 2008

"Rattus Maximus"

I've been wanting to do a cartoon of my agility instructor's dog, Orso, for all her generosity helping me with Penny. She calls Orso "the Rat" because he can be so totally brilliant and then he'll totally mess up - very much on purpose. I feel a real affinity with Orso. Orso is very much like Mac: either you love him, or want to kill him. There is no middle ground. Wendy let me run him in class when I was dog-less (Penny at training camp). He is such fun and makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

The above is an 8.5" x 11" pen and watercolor "realistic" cartoon of him. I've never done an Australian Shepard before. I tried to get a bit of his "mischievous" look but he came out looking a bit too "good". But then, that is him. He doesn't look "evil" at all, even when he decides to blow off Wendy's clear signal to go into the tunnel and spins to take a jump. He has perfected looking innocent.

I was going to draw a rat tail on him, but thought that would be too over the top. However, I did write his name below his "likeness". It reads:
Orso ("Rattus Maximus")

I want to get the watercolor matted and framed for her as a surprise. I will probably play in Photoshop and put a rat tail on him just for fun.

3 comments:

Marilyn Rock said...

Deb; I love your cartoon of Orso! In fact; I just enjoy your Blog SO much. I've been visiting for actually two years and don't think I've ever left a comment. I decided it's time :) Your writings just make me smile; you've taken me from your trip to Italy to your horse with his terrible sinus problem, I love reading about what your dogs are doing, the pictures - all of it! I want to thank you for a wonderful and inspiring Blog that I visit each morning with my first cup of coffee in hand. Your illustrations are just fantastic; how I enjoy them! Thank you!

kerrip said...

Debbie, I love this illustration. What a wonderful gift for Wendy. You have a way with capturing the essence of an animal -- sweet face with just a bit of a mischievous posture, like he's holding himself back.

Going For Greatness said...

Omg Deb I LOVE this! What a sweet thing to do for your instructor! She's going to LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!!
hee hee hee... ya gotta love the 'bad boys' dontcha?? There's just somethin' about that mischievious nature that draws us in!
Fabulous illustration!!
~Gabi