Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Sound of Silence


Leanne struck off this past weekend with Oki and Lily to a dressage show outside of Boston. It was VERY windy and a lot of horses were freaking out. If that wasn't enough, the sound system for the musical freestyle must have been designed by an ex-Metallica sound engineer. It could be heard loudly in ALL the dressage rings. In Leanne's ring she could actually "feel" the music. Oki REALLY didn't like it at all. Let's just say that Leanne was phenomenal and kept Oki from running to California, but she ended up scratching that test.

I was disheartened to hear that many riders were putting earplugs in their horses ears - which is illegal to do at a dressage show. So I thought about an alternative that perhaps wasn't illegal. I'd lend Oki my Bose noise-canceling headphones. The headphones work great with airplanes so they should be able to handle Metallica-engineered dressage music! I'll make certain to pack those suckers for the next show (the headphones, not the Metallica sound engineers).

1 comment:

kerrip said...

It must be a trend. I heard similar "music" coming from the speakers at our local high school during a sporting event while I was walking Max. As you might imagine, he was also rather terrified. I think he prefers easy listening!