Sunday, May 11, 2008

I'm a Lonely Little Petunia - (updated)

...in an onion patch...
My Mom use to sing me that song when I was little. I don't know why I though of it. Perhaps because I have completed a lot of work on my flower beds. Last year I put in a lot of petunias in to fill in spaces where my new perennials will eventually fill in.

I used the "imitation gauche" technique for this little illo. I have a lot of work to do, but I enjoyed the little sketch. It is brighter in real life. I don't like the greens I had available - I need to mix some of my own.

What is funny is that I remember the tune and the first line of that song and can't remember any more of it. I Googled the lyrics and found someone singing it in YouTube - they only sang the first line and hummed the rest. I guess they forgot the rest or perhaps there are no more words ;).

UPDATE: My dear friend Kathryn, who knows just about everything that I ever want to know, sent me the lyrics!! Look at the first comment for background info...


I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
an onion patch, an onion patch.

I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch
and all I do is cry all day.

Boo hoo, boo hoo!

The air ís so strong it takes my breath away!

I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
oh won't you come and play with me?

Who put me in this bed?
I'll bet his face is red,
I call him down with every teardrop that I shed,
If I only had him here,
I'd take him by the ear,
And make him share my misery!

I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
an onion patch, an onion patch.

I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch
and all I do is cry all day.

Boo hoo, boo hoo!

The air ís so strong it takes my breath away.

(Feee-you!)

I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
oh won't you come and play with me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie - Here are the lyrics to your song:

I'M A LONELY LITTLE PETUNIA IN AN ONION PATCH
The Happy Gang

Of all the saddest words
That I have ever heard
The saddest is the story
Told me by a bird
He had spent about and hour
Chatting with a flower
and here ís the tale the flower told:

***see updated post***

Love your drawing which illustrates this song beautifully. QK

kerrip said...

I love the way your mind works. This is a great illo and I love the technique.

loverna said...

There is a final verse to this song, making four verses in all:

My heart begins to crack
each time I see the track
Left by a kitty with
A stripe right down his back.
If he ever comes by me
I think I'd rather be
A dead petunia, wouldn't you?