Sunday, May 04, 2008

Another New Technique

It is called "imitation gauche": another technique that I found skimming my old magazine. The featured artist was Simon Taback and he shared his cool illustrations and his methods to achieve his trademark work in his "Joseph Had a Little Overcoat."

His technique and materials intrigued me. He likes working on Kraft paper - he feels that it provides a more forgiving surface than other paper. He first does a line drawing in India ink. He then overdraws using color pencil. He layers watercolor "washes" over the color pencil. He then applies more color pencil. His result is a very vivid illustration in which very little of the line drawing remains and the result is more like gauche. It is just wonderful. He then adds collage elements with UHO glue which he uses because if he places an element in the work place, he can wet and move it. I highly recommend you looking up his wonderful book!

I started playing with the method. Of course I prefer to maintain my line drawing but the layers of color pencil, watercolor, color pencil is a lot of fun. However, as you can see in the "x-ed" out first try - things can get muddy fast. I used a little 4" x 4" square book that has Kraft-like paper in it. However, the paper is quite thin and not very forgiving. But I like the look of the drawings on the natural background.

I had fun playing with this method and will continue to play with it along with the Sergio Martinez's method. I thank both of these artists for their generosity in sharing their techniques with us! Again, I won't achieve the same results, but I will certainly development my own new techniques that will enrich my work.

I have used this to do a little illustration which I will post later this week - stay tuned!

2 comments:

kerrip said...

I love the contrast on Kraft paper, and love that you showed your work in progress. Great post!!! -- love the layering of pencil and paint as well!!!

Anonymous said...

I’m too gauche to understand what a gauche technique is in art, but I really love viewing the creative process you documented here. I admire your sense of adventure in trying new things. QK