Sunday, March 02, 2008

Illustration Friday: Leap!

I can't decide which background I like best so I'll post both, with a bit of on the creation process following the two. The snow background is more "real" because it is what we have, and had, for months! But I like "spring" about right now. And "spring" goes with "leap" ;) I'll let you all choose your favorite!


Penny is done in pen & watercolor and cut out. Here is the original and the "curly" version. There is something about the first version I like better.
I was really trying to capture the grace and bounce in Penny's leap.
She does doggie agility along with bird hunting. People who see her do both tell me how graceful and bouncy she is. I don't have a picture of her leaping an agility jump or leaping on a retrieve, but here are some "play" pictures of her. I've included one of her little sister in as well. Standard Poodles do excel in the "leap" department!!

15 comments:

Fourborne said...

They are both nice but the one in the snow really showcases your beautiful doggy.

steve said...

Great post and work Debbie! They're both cool, but the snow one seems to be my fave, for whatever reason. In the past i had a strange prejudice against poodles until I actually met some. They're the coolest dogs around--fun, friendly and smart!

Karen said...

Love love love the pix of the dogs!

I think that my vote would go for the spring green version.

claudine hellmuth said...

i love them all but my fav is the green one!!
xxoxoxox

Tony LaRocca said...

Flying poodles everywhere! Cute pictures :)

Ars said...

I really dig the green one.

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh how adorable! I was inspired by a leaping pet too!

rbaird said...

I like the green one!
What beautiful, lively pups you have!

Bobo said...

You have a very beautiful dog. You captured it well. I like the second one.

studio lolo said...

I love Standard Poodles! It makes me laugh when I hear people say they're "foofy." They're so smart!!! (the dogs, not the people.)
I like the green better but both are great leaps!

FlamingoGirl said...

I love the colors and playfulness of the first one but both are wonderful!

Jules said...

Oh girl I am so going for the snow. Another "Winter storm watch" here tonight in my land. Love the exuberance of the doggie!

Anonymous said...

I think both iterations of Penny leaping are very nice (love the ears) but I think I prefer the spring version because it gives a frame of reference (and I like the continuance of the curlicue motif you have in Penny’s coat and in the background). I also love the photo of Penny and Maggie playing together (good to see) and of Maggie going full tilt (you can see the speed and power in her haunches).

-QK

janie said...

both are gorgeous but my fav. is the snowy one 'cause there's no distraction from your darling doggy.

van dyke said...

Nice bright colors and cute expression. Very whimsical!