Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Illustration Friday: Soar


The first thing that popped into my head was soaring without a care in the world like a bird, feeling the wind on my face. The image I had in my mind was more complicated. I wanted to strap on da Vinci type wings and throw an old fashion pilot's helmet and goggles on her head. I envisioned a collage using tissue paper as wings. I've recently found that when I "force" the art in my onto paper it loses some life.

I sat down and sketched my vision that I would translate using pen and watercolor - watercolors give me the "movement" that I wanted to convey. The wings made her look like a vampire so I nixed them. I liked her upturned face to embrace the movement of air across her skin: helmet/goggles would obscure that expression.

This is my original pen sketch. I feel that the final version is missing some of the movement and freedom that this sketch has. I don't know how I lost it. Because I only had "one try" in me, I was distracted by our new puppy running around in my attic studio. Unlike Penny as a puppy, Maggie likes to chew on anything that comes in contact with her mouth. A dangerous thing in my mess of an attic! Or I'm just making excuses and already letting my inner critic make it's debut into the new year. Whatever the reason, I still feel that the final version is truer to "soar" than the one in my head. I tend to go for complex, when a more "edited" version better conveys what I want to express.

7 comments:

marcisenders said...

Beautiful!

studio lolo said...

What fun!!

Regina (artsy_reg) said...

Actually, I love the movement of the final illo as well as the sketch. And I also agree with the last sentence whole-heartedly! I have a tendency to overthink a piece, then have far better results just letting it become what it wants to be... It's liberating.

Rui Sousa said...

It´s excellent! Like you style and the lines and color are fine.
congratolations and keep the good work.
www.ruisousaartworks.blogspot.com

Ursula Shaw said...

What fun! Love it.

Knitting Painter Woman said...

It doesn't look to me like you "lost" much of the freedom or joie de vivre. The red hair and green bean body add plenty of pizazz!

kerrip said...

Wonderful and fluid. I am glad you continue with the instinct to let it flow. I can see what you originally envisioned (a bit Hudson Hawk, if you saw the movie), but I like this much better