Sunday, November 04, 2007

Freeform Sunday: Cat Gotcha Brush?


I am trying to get back to painting and decided to work on yet another weak area. Weak area you ask? Well, I have 2 Gorey-Inspired-Backgrounds sitting unfinished on my art table so I'm a bit stuck at the moment. So I decided to torment myself even further and paint...yes...cats. I don't know why I can't easily draw cats. I have absolutely no idea. In fact, I should be able to draw the little critters. Why? You may ask. Observe the supporting evidence:
  • I love cats: their grace, their beauty, their totally "up-yours" attitude
  • I understand and can capture how cats move
  • I own cats, albeit they live in the barn - they give me asthma
  • I draw my poodle and she is definitely part cat (refer to the "up-yours" attitude listed above)
  • On second thought, I don't "own" cats: they grace my barn with their presence and let me feed them and otherwise care for them. They play with mice and place little decapitated mouse heads on their food plate to watch me jump straight up in the air while they are laughing and pointing at me while hiding behind the hay bales
So why the heck can't I capture these elusive creatures? Why do I have "drawer's cramp" when I try to draw them? Am I just a one-note (or one animal) drawer? Do those whiskers distract me? Do they know I don't let them in my house? You think I'm kidding on this last point? They know I'm highly allergic to them. I can't go into a cat-owning-friend's without their cat seeking me out and then jumping upon my lap. After which said friend will declare "but he NEVER does that!" Cats are wickedly smart and they know that they can easily send me to the hospital.

Well, I won't give up that easily. I will not let the devilish creatures get the upper paw. I will keep drawing and painting Mr. Whiskers until I get him right. Or he sends me to the hospital. Which ever comes first.

4 comments:

kerrip said...

this is a perfectly wonderful cat. I love the variations in fur color and the self-satisfied look on his face - purrrrfectly cat like.

by the way... my 'interview' pics on my blog... I took them of myself, with my camera, just held as far away from my face as possible, while I made pretend conversation with myself at work - it takes about 50 shots to get 6 good expressions, but with a digital that only takes a few minutes!! - during which you hope no one from your office walks by!!

Anonymous said...

For "not" being able to draw/paint cats, this came out fantastic! I like the way the tail looks - it totally gives me the impression of how a cat swishes his tail - with all the cat attitude. Nice job.

By the way, I have the same trouble with cats as you do - instant asthma trouble...and you're absolutely right - they FIND you. I swear they SEEK YOU OUT. How do they know???

Love d

Going For Greatness said...

HAHA!! I'm not sure which I love more... the cat or your writing!! I am giggling out loud here!

"I don't "own" cats: they grace my barn with their presence and let me feed them and otherwise care for them. They play with mice and place little decapitated mouse heads on their food plate to watch me jump straight up in the air while they are laughing and pointing at me while hiding behind the hay bales"

OMG, the visual... this is hysterical and, growing up on a farm, I was also graced with the presence of 'barn cats' who decided to pay 'rent' in mouse parts as well!
HAHAHAHHA!!
FABULOUS post!!!
XO
Gabi

Anonymous said...

I think you did a great job painting this kitty: she has just the right self-satisfied smile and smugness I associate with cats! Good job! QK