Friday, September 07, 2007

Inspire Me Thursday: Limited Palette

"Look at the colors that play a prominent role in your life right now. What colors surround you most… what colors repeatedly draw you in… what colors symbolize what is going on in your life right now? Choose the two or three colors that most speak to you at this moment, then use this limited palette to create a piece of art this week.
"

I don't know why I am so addicted to these colors lately: green gold, red and raw sienna. This freeform style I've been pursuing of late is very much from the subconscious so I can't explain how these colors symbolize what is going on in my life right now. When I do a freeform painting I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do - I just start loading my brush up with color and let it flow. The green/gold and the red paints in my watercolor box just pull my water-laden brush to them over and over again. I don't know what this all means. Perhaps I have such a complicated life I am gravitating to simple forms. I gravitate to free-flow, light and airy - and simple. I have a habit to over analyze EVERYTHING - an occupational hazard I'm afraid. So I am deliberately not analyzing this - just going with the flow and seeing where it may take me!

This red gloved lady is rather an odd one. She almost "feels" like she has just sprouted from the earth, bringing her face up to the sunshine. These really come from deep inside - she speaks to something. Exactly what is something I've yet to discover.

11 comments:

Garden girl said...

Red is a very fiery colour of rebirth and new adventure, so maybe its whiserping just that to you..come out of hiding and try something new?

carla said...

I too am drawn to green gold. I think it's one of my favorite colors. I agree with garden girl that it is a color of rebirth, like the new growth on trees and bushes and sprouts. Your lady does look like a sprout! I'd love to see a whole painting of ladies sprouting from the earth, surrounded by their blossoms! This is so delicate and pretty:>

kerrip said...

languid, and sensuous. those are the words that come to mind when I see this. and red is your color. I identify reds and vibrant colors with you.

Patricia J. Mosca said...

I love these colors....They just make me HAPPY!!!!!!!

megan said...

I vote for going with the flow. Explanations not needed. This is gorgeous & holds my eye.

zinkibaru said...

I love the freedom in your painting, the way the colours flow. Beautiful.

Royce Addington: said...

Your art speaks to me of metamorphosis, beauty and freedom.
There is a quality to your work that reminds me, very much, of Erte.

Deb G said...

This is a celebration!

Lea Antonio said...

She really does look like she simply unfurled and blossomed. Beautiful combination of colors, and so elegant!

Anonymous said...

Your red-gloved lady looks like she’s floating to me; she’s full of confidence and a calm integrity. Very nicely done with the limited palette restriction placed on this exercise. It’s amazing to me how expressive you can make her face with just a few ink strokes! QK

Julia said...

So gracieus in wonderful colors . Love it !!