Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Inspire Me Thursday: Artist Trading Cards

IMT's creative prompt was artist trading cards (ATC). I love ATCs because I can use scraps of paper that I save and all those other little bits of embellishments. But in this set, I used an entirely different approach which I explain below. Here is probably my favorite. Once I got started I couldn't stop!!!


I participate in an ATC exchange although lately I've been bad - summer is busy. If you click on the "ATCs" label below they will all come up. You can even vote on your favorite! I've been trying to incorporate more of my own art into them. So for this creative prompt I wanted to use my Freeform gals. I typically put phrases in my ATCs, but these ladies seem to speak for themselves!


IMT happily gave me a chance to pick my OWN topic!! I know that my friends would love my red gloved ladies as ATCs. AND I get to use some really neat backgrounds that I bought from Anahata Katkin whom I LOVE.


Then technical problems struck. I couldn't print my ladies. So, I thought - OK, my scanner still works so I'll scan everything - I'll do them digitally as inspired by my dear friend Kerri's digital collages. Once I can color print again I will make the "real thing" and embellish with sparklies. What fun!! And I would put the phrase "I don't do windows" on this one!

The only thing I don't know if I like is the white skin. Since all of these ladies are from my Freeform Sunday sessions, the skin has been just the paper. I'll leave them be: they are geisha-ish this way ;)

Told you I couldn't stop. Here are some more with some variations.

In some ways I think that the red gloved ladies that I didn't pen over as this one below didn't work quite as well. I believe that I need the pen detail to "pop" her out a bit. The background is a busy one but I was just experimenting!


I WAS having lots of fun with this except for the fact that I only have the little touch pad on my Mac laptop to edit the pieces. Digitally cutting and editing my freeform gals was murder. I have a nice Wacom Intuos3 6X8 Pen Tablet on my Christmas list!!

I'm also using Photoshop Elements 2.0 so I'm limited in some functions. The Wacom Tablet comes with the new version of Elements. YAY. But none of this held me back!!


This one was a fun variation, but I like the first better I think. I couldn't get over how many of Anahata's backgrounds blended in with my ladies. Even the colors! What fun I had! I can't wait to do the "real" version.s Digital is fun and great for layouts. But I really do miss the tactile-ness (and the smells of art supplies) of doing it in the real world!

18 comments:

Krissie said...

wow these ladies do have attitude...they are great and what fun!! I love those long red gloves...

katy said...

Nothing compares to a mermaid in red gloves love that! kt

Samm said...

wow, these are really gorgeous! they are so vibrant and scream "fun"! nice
samm

Spontanity said...

Very very nice:)
Greetz from Holland

megan said...

all i can say is...keep drawing...keep painting...you've created some real personality on these!

kerrip said...

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! These are spectacular Debbie. I love both of the first two best, and the backgrounds do work so well with them. Anahata is also very bold in her use of color which I think works perfectly with your vibrant ladies. Love them!!! I love that you couldn't stop!!! What a great creative roll you are on!!

DEW said...

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments! I just never thought I'd use what started as an artistic exercise to create such eye candy! Of course it would not have been possible without dear Anahata's "spare parts". I need to go buy some more of them ;). Don't tell Kerri, but I had bought the set of books for her. Oops - the cat is out of the bag.

Kerri - you hit it on the head with Anahata's use of brillant colors. My ladies of course were the wrong size for ATCs and also non standard colors. I found it difficult to match any of the papers or other backgrounds I had made to the ladies. Then, my prints of my resized ladies were horrible. That is when I went and grabbed... er, well, humm, the books I bought for you. WELL, if you hadn't cancelled our artist date you would have had them already! I guess it is what fate had in mind because they were exactly what I needed! I still can't get over how well the colors and even the "shapes" blended. That NEVER happens - I typically design the piece to the background or vice a versa. Serendipity at work!!

kerrip said...

Drats!!!! But clearly they were meant for you!! - you're right. It's as though you designed the ladies for the backgrounds even though you didn't, so it truly was fate!! Now, step away from the spare parts and leave the rest for me (tee hee)!!!

Patricia J. Mosca said...

No matter what the element of the background...YOUR LADIES ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am totally amazed at how productive you were! I know how busy you are and to turn out seven new images is really incredible. I particularly like the red-gloved lady with the blond hair and the purple gown, and the red-gloved lady in the green dress and hat; the backgrounds really complement the ladies, and the way you positioned them in the frame is great. I do think the red-gloved lady in the Breakthrough image looks flat by comparison. The lack of ink detailing makes her look more two-dimensional than the other ladies. I don’t mind the white skin, however (possibly because I resemble that remark). I think the paleness of the ladies’ skin is both appropriate and draws additional light to their faces. All in all, the added backgrounds give depth to your images and make them more complete. Very nicely done. QK

Miriam said...

Those are all so fun, and amazing! I love going on a tear like that. I have to say that my favorite is the first one also...I love that stunning ring against that background.

janie said...

These are terrific.
My favourite is "I dont do windows"
she's a real diva and the white skin really works for me, especially with that lushious red lipstick.

~Gina said...

These ATCs are all so gorgeous I couldn't possibly pick a favorite.:) Love the movement and energy...

~Gina

Liz Ness said...

Found you by way of Kerri...awesome ATCs! Love them so much!

Going For Greatness said...

Oo that 1st one is my favourite too. I like to think of her as Mackie in 15 years.......dancing. (hey could be, right?? Same hair color and little tush and of course, not to be without her adoring birds.........
Fabulous piece. Definitely my fav!!
~XO
!Gabi

kerrip said...

Debbie, I just scrolled down your blog, just to see if I missed any posts, and I just have to tell you how cool it is to watch all of you original art go by. I just love it!!!

platinum blonde said...

the first one and the mermaid are my favorites! i just adore your style!!

http://1girlshow.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

these are absolutely gorgeous...
xox -d