Thursday, September 06, 2007

Backgrounds: Stairway to Heaven?

Well, I couldn't call this "stair-master" because I still have lots of work to do on backgrounds!
So pretty silly eh? Yep, but I just couldn't resist giving Penny the "Gorey" hat. I don't know what happened in this scan. The walls are a rich violet and they went gray in the scan. Oh well. The background inspiration for this was the August 27th calendar day from "The Blue Aspic" which read "a statue fell on the Duke of Whaup during the second interval of Amable Tastu." As you can see, Penny really doesn't care about the Duke. It certainly does not concern her in the least. She is, after all, The Poodle.

Penny actually sits this way. She plops her bum on the top stair and then sets her front feet on the bottom one as seen in the photo. Silly girl! A perfect match for her very silly humans!

4 comments:

Going For Greatness said...

This on is my absolute FAVOURITE to date. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!
It's just dead-on perfect. The colours, the colours, the wallpaper, the carpet, the shading. EVERYTHING here is eye-poppingly gorgeous. Absolutely my favourite to date!!
~KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK!!!~
XO
Gabi

Anonymous said...

You are really getting the hang of detailed backgrounds. I love the sweep of this sketch and the neat perspective of the steps. Of course, Penny the Precious Poodle has just the right look of noble distain. I’m glad you included the photo of Penny sitting on two steps. She is an absolute character! QK

kerrip said...

I agree with the other comments. This is brilliant. A perfect composition with so many wonderfully executed details and colors. And perfect poodle attitude. I also love it as many times as Gabi. No, actually I love it two more times than that!!

studio lolo said...

I love the Gorey-inspired Penny! Standard poodles are THE smartest dogs, and so very loyal.