Monday, August 06, 2007

Freeform Repeat: Radar Lock


A repeat on "Poodle Energy" "freeform" trying to get the head correct. She is more in what we call a "radar lock" but she lost "sweetness." Looks like I will be heading back to the painting board. ;)

It was very interesting in studying Penny for this "sketch". She just got a full body clip and because her ears are quite short I noticed how forward her ears are when she is focused. I also didn't realize (when I had her collar off in addition to the short hair) how long her neck was. Now I just need to learn to capture what I am seeing. A work in progress...

3 comments:

Going For Greatness said...

I see what you mean about losing the 'sweetness'. I like the 1st piece for it's vivid colour and yes, her sweetness. I like the 2nd one best for capturing the 'radar lock'. Our Jack Russell gets that same 'lock' when she spies a turkey or deer in the back yard. You nailed that!!
Loving your dabblings in watercolour! It's one of my favourite looks in art!!
~XO~
Gabi

kerrip said...

I love Penny's form in this one, and I don't think she's lost all her sweetness at all.

Anonymous said...

WOW, you nailed it! That’s the intensity I know Penny and all hunting dogs have when they are locked on a bird! You can feel the potential energy—a coiled spring ready to release. Very nicely done! -QK