Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Backgrounds: Bon Voyage


Perspective with Pain

I have a book "Perspective without Pain." It lies!! This is my first post in my new artistic technique foray: working on my backgrounds inspired by Edward Gorey. This one is from June 26th: "The Remembered Visit." I will first admit that I did use a pencil to sketch the background. I realize that I probably did a difficult one first. Penny is sitting on the deck of a listing ship. She is straight to the viewer (who would also be on the deck), but nothing else is. I had a devil of a time with this one.

Improvements:
  1. Do a better job on Penny - the pen I used was too broad
  2. Make my lines straighter
  3. Do the poodle feet on the lounge chair crossed in a more interesting pose
  4. Put a blowing scarf on her
Well, I will keep at it... the only way to improve is to do...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally think this is awesome! Penny looks fantastic - you totally get the sense that she's leaning into the wind and loving every minute of it. I don't know why you think your lines need to be straighter! They're fine! The blowing scarf would be cute. :)
Love d

Going For Greatness said...

This is SUCH a fun piece!! I love Penny's ears.. fantastic water and the poodle feet on the chez lounge are hysterical!!
No No No to straighter lines. no no no!! Yes..a blowing scarf would add a little more movement to the piece but her ears and the ocean waves do a great job of that too!
I love it!
~Gabi

janie said...

I had never heard of Edward Gorey
before, he's great ,thanks for that.
I think Gorey would be proud of this, I certainly would anyway, I have a hard time with backgrounds myself, they terrify me.

Anonymous said...

I can feel the wind in Penny’s face as she gazes out from the deck of the cruise ship. What an adventurer she is! I think you did a wonderful job translating the Gorey original to make it your own. The perspective seems right to me, but I can imagine how hard it was to get it to look that way. I agree a scarf would add to the feeling of the wind, but Penny’s ears and tail convey that sense well as it is. Looks great! QK

just me said...

I agree. it's great. But the idea of a blowing scarf is a good one. :)

Deb G said...

Your piece is super...I can totally see a scarf on Penny. Edward Gorey is a lot of fun!

Patricia J. Mosca said...

Have to agree the flowing scarf would have been the icing on the cake for me...This is total whimsey!! I know that Penny is loving every minute of it...It looks great just the way it is!! That is my 2 cents!! LOL

Fledgling Poet said...

I love this! The way her ears are blowing in the wind, and the colors in the picture, too. Beautiful!

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

I like this illustration a lot! Great work!