Monday, July 30, 2007

Inspire Me Thursday: Freeform Sunday!

My new thing starting last Sunday was something I've labeled as freeform. I don't allow myself to make a draft using my usual pencil with an electric eraser to fix mistakes. I took it a step even further and now paint first and add pen detail later. I'm going to continue this for awhile to see where it takes me - completely out of my comfort zone!! For these two ladies, I got gutsier using a big brush with lots of water pushing myself further into that scary zone of discovery. I'll admit I've gotten a little attached to my lime green and red gloved lady. Having "The Devil Wears Prada" on the TV as I painted had a bit of an influence as well!

It is still a scary world to do art without my eraser! I feel like a trapeze artist with no net (and I'm VERY afraid of heights!!). But come on in everyone - the water's fine!! Did I mention I can't swim. But then that doesn't stop me from going into the water! ;)

19 comments:

happydays525 said...

Love it! So fun, thanks for sharing!

Pattie Mosca said...

Great to allow yourself the freedom of freeform sunday! These 2 pieces have a great sense to them! Feeling fun and free!

Bee said...

Really fun pieces...isn't it fun to create freely. Look forward to seeing some more of your work.

Crafty Green Poet said...

they're so full of personality!

kerrip said...

I am loving this form of your work Debbie. Please keep it up!!

katydiddy said...

I have the same fear of ink! Beautiful work!

carra said...

I have a similiar fear of drawing first and then paint (because I can't draw)... although I have not tried your reversed method! ;) Maybe I should.

I love what you have done here, these women come across very strongly.

Love,
Carra

platinum blonde said...

i love it!!! love freeform challenges...it is always hard for me at first, but then I get into a groove...looks like you found that groove too!

Lea Antonio said...

I love how spontaneous the work is... and it's really liberating to not have to color within the lines, isn't it?

Royce Addington: said...

She exudes personality, attitude and flair! I can almost hear her singing! She's the Diva of Freedom!

Miriam said...

Those are so fun! I love them!

omgirly said...

I love your super sassy lime green lady!! and thank you for showing your bravery in stepping outside of your comfort zone!

Cheryl said...

She's beautiful! I love the facial expression on the second piece. Doesn't it feel good to get out of your comfort zone?

just me said...

I grinned seeing these.

Nicole said...

Lovely ;-)

Deb G said...

I really like your pieces-the humor in them especially.

Sigrid said...

Love how you create all this character with just a few brush strokes...

Laura Scarlett said...

You've got a great attitude and have produced something really fun and expressive here. Great idea about doing the bold shapes in paint and then going on to add pen detail. Think I'll have to give that a go.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you’ve been on a creative tear lately; I love it! Your lime green lady has real personality and reminds me of sketches you would see in The New Yorker. -QK