Saturday, February 17, 2007

Illustration Friday: Gravity

We always knew that Mac's appetite would be his undoing! Mac is watercolor & ink and his "accessories" are made from a bit papers, twine & a feed-bag :). The background is acrylic wash on watercolor paper.
As you can see from this first sketch, I had quite a different idea in mind. Gravity makes me think of Newton and Walt Disney's cartoon of Newton and his apple. The apple makes me think of how our horses will watch the apple trees uphill from their pasture on a windy day, hoping that one will drop and roll into their reach. Then the scientist in me caused equations to occur. Then I realized I was making things way to complicated which is my nature. Then I thought of the double meaning of gravity and thought about what trouble Mac would get himself into!

For some really sweet takes on this theme, check out all the wonderful artists at Illustration Friday! I apologize to those of you whom I haven't left comments for. Since I've switched from beta-Blogger I have only been able to leave comments at a couple blogs. I don't know what is going on, but this has happened before and I assume that Blogger will sort things out.

5 comments:

Michelle Lana said...

fun illo!

steve said...

Too cool!!! Scientists rule btw.

Samhains said...

I like the doodle pad scan :) looks like you where Thinking a bit eh...don't try this at home kids. Chem lab, Science , its one of my fav things :)

carla said...

What a wacky illustration with an equally wacky explanation! I love it!

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

Very fun! Nice job.