Saturday, January 27, 2007

Where Eye've Been

Sorry, couldn’t resist. I know, I’ve been MIA. It is a long rambling story that I won’t bore you with. Instead, I’ll bore you with the short rambling story. Humm, let me see if I can do this succinctly - I’m not good at succinct. We were attending to some family matters. We did a bunch of traveling. I lost 6 days of my life fighting with a new PC laptop: it won, I lost. We did lots of traveling. Winter came in the form of ice: power went with downed power lines. Horses like to drink despite the fact that well pumps need power - the very same power that went with the downed power lines due to the arrival of winter in the form of ice. We did lots of traveling. I was finishing a huge project at work involving more evil PCs (even worse - networked PCs!) We did lots of traveling. I’ve been doing lots of taxes and filing W-2s, 1099misc, workman’s comp, etc. We’ve been working with Penny on her new career (more to come on this!).

The good news is that hopefully this weekend I will finish at least the business taxes, etc. and will have things in some semblance of control before I go, once more, out of town. Did I mention we’ve been traveling a lot? Once this is done, I hopefully can get out some “catch-up” postings on my blog. My recent experiences with PCs resulted in a severe case of techno-phobia and I didn’t want to get near anything containing a microchip. The experiences also re-confirmed my love affair with my Mac computer. Funny, my Mac computer is incredibly well-behaved - something I can’t say about Mac the horse!

So who is this silly character at the top of my blog? This is a polymer clay creation involving beads and Pearl-ex. The “eye” actually swings around - with a different eye on the other side. This glyph has evolved out of my fascination with petroglyphs and pictograms of early Native Americans. It all started with a starbook I created over a year ago. This April we will be going on our first trip to Italy for a Claudine Hellmuth workshop. I’m so excited – Claudine is the best! The attendees will be creating a personal shrine as one of our main projects. I decided that I wanted the shrine to be a representation of where I am in life at this moment: emotionally and artistically. I’ve also been accessing where I want to go with my art. I tend to be artistically schizophrenic. I’ve been trying to figure out what I do that is really “mine.” My cartoons are very much my own, but they don’t lend themselves well to a shrine. However, I truly love making my glyphs and spirit helpers. I decided the focal point of my shrine will be a glyph representation of “me”. The theme of the shrine will be metamorphosis - the place where I feel like I’m at. I don’t want to do too much for the shrine, just make this central piece - something more difficult to do in Italy.

I started the creative process by looking at my original sketches and also the flat pieces I did for the starbook as shown in the second photo. I roughed out a sketch and as you can see in the last photo, for once in my life, the finished piece is pretty much what I drew. I would like to put arms on as seen in the sketch. I also wanted to put translucent wings on her. I think I will keep her as is so she will make it to and from Italy in my suitcase without falling apart! Originally I was not going to paint the sculpture - I didn’t know what my color scheme would be in Italy. Kerri suggested that my traditional Pearl-ex coloring was varied enough to accommodate a wide color range. She’s right (she often is) and I finished it off with Pearl-ex and beads. We shall see where the shrine “goes” once I get there. I’ll be full of sights from Florence and the beautiful Tuscan landscape!

4 comments:

kerrip said...

I loved watching this "self portrait?" evolve. For those who will read this, the piece is even more amazing in person. The spinning eye works so well, and the beads add wonderful decoration to the engineering. Thanks for such a fun day Debbie. My seniors class didn't get finished until Sunday -- and I posted our website names for a vote!! (and I did what I said I wouldn't - I did a minor re-arrangement of my room again!! I couldn't stand it. Now it's not quite so feng sh%& !!!

Anonymous said...

I love your glyph. I definitely could see your glyph was wings! Arms are nice, but wings are so spiritual! -QK

Samhains said...

I like that for so many reasons...it has a magickal quality to it..I coul duse that image in magickal rituals, like in servitor and thought form creations, perhaps model shifting as well it would work in a few "schools" of magick..I like that art alot.

I can see some one disigns dresses?? no, mabe? The art work has dress disign written all over it :)...

Samhains said...

...or jewlery?