Sunday, October 01, 2006

Illustration Friday - Quiet

My first quick sketch idea for my "Quiet" collage was titled: Use #2 from "1001 uses for duct tape" with the subtitle: "remember not to cover the nostrils or you'll have DEAD quiet". I'm certain you can picture the sketch.

Today it was pouring down rain all day - in other words it was cold, dark and gloomy outside. Penny was all curled up on the footstool and it was so warm and quiet inside. I stopped answering email and made a quick sketch of her all curled up. I then decided I needed to practice my watercolor. Otherwise I'd be painting tomatoes that looked like orange potatoes (see last paragraph of my previous post) for the rest of my life.

So I took a stab at painting her. I lived in fear that she would come out looking like a big orange potatoe - but she didn't. I mounted her on a textured acrylic background and used some beautiful Japanese paper for a "blanket" I had problems because the gel medium seemed to dissolve the paper - bummer. So the result is what it is. The scan lightened up her bum way more than it is in the original. Well, I'll get better...eventually!

The phot is a quick snap of the quiet little puppy. She moved a couple times while I was sketching her. She was originally curled real tight and snug!

10 comments:

Jess said...

Such a cute sleeping puppy.

Michelle Lana said...

awww ..cute!

kerrip said...

nothing like a sleeping dog. I think your watercolor technique has come a long way from the orange potatoes, even though I haven't seen them. Good shading. I love watercolors. really nice.

Samhains said...

you should be doing ilistrations in childrens books....

The sleepy doodle

Ouissi Gresty said...

I love seeing the three steps...gorgeous....

Ouissi x

Big A said...

I like how you've shown your steps here. That is a lovely shade of purple.

Ellen said...

Awwwwww! Lovely renditions!

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

This is really nice! I love dogs, and yours looks especially sweet.

Going For Greatness said...

This turned out soooo nice! I love love LOVE that she's sleeping on a cloud. That's where Angels sleep, right?!
Mackie says that "it looks like Penny and that Penny is having happy dreams because she has a smile and pretty long eye lashes!"
I dunno how pretty long eyelashes means she's having a happy dream but hey... if a 4 year old thinks so then it must be true!
The watercolour blended so well. I don't see a single orange potatoe.... :)
Give Penny our love!
~XO
Gabi and Mackie too

Going For Greatness said...

HEY DEBBIE! I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EMAIL ME!
XO
Gabi