Friday, September 15, 2006

Studio Friday - Floral Treat

... or, in my case, the floral treat that almost wasn't. A bit of background first.

Lord knows that I have a large array of oddities (as my friends and enemies will attest to). I will let you in on yet another one. I dress up funny on occassion. No - NOT like that. Let me explain. Len is a member of an organization that dresses up in Edwardian fashion. So over the years I have been assembling "faux" Edwardian outfits for the two of us with the help of eBay, the Salvation Army outlet, and the expert advice of my wonderful friend "Queen" Kathryn. Next week is the 4-day-event-of-the-year. Silly, you may say. Well, yes. But it is no different than Renaissance fairs. The time period is only one century ago instead of over 4 centuries past so the dress is indeed different (think the movie "Titantic"). The other difference is we don't eat with our hands and throw bones over our shoulders and the men admire antique side-by-side shot guns instead of swords and axes. Something that began as something to just do with my husband (after all, he would go to horse shows - something he doesn't care a whole lot about) became an artistic endeavor.

The artist endeavor at hand was to modify a absolutely lovely hat created by Darna (to the left) to match a great skirt that I had bought on eBay for $11.97 (that includes the shipping!) over two years ago. It became a real problem, a problem that I was starting to think I wouldn't be able to solve. As unbelievable as this sounds, I just couldn't find embellishments that were the correct shade of blue. All the blues I found were more "green" than the skirt. Leaving the hat as it was wouldn't work - the green leaves just clashed with the blue skirt. I desperately needed some embellishment that would tie the hat to the skirt. You know how they say that sometimes the solution is right under your nose? Well in my case the solution was up in my art room. Kathryn and I had bought flowers to fix up hats to sell last year. In that box was hiding flowers that EXACTLY matched the skirt. It was meant to be. You see the results in the photos at the start of the this post. It isn't perfect - I'm not a hat maker. I added the flowers in a way that they are removable. That way I can use the hat with other outfits. I just cut the wire holding all the added flowers to the hat. Just adding that touch of blue makes the outfit work. FYI I'll be wearing a white lace Edwardian styled blouse with vintage looking jewelry with blue crystals the color of the skirt. If I get brave I may post pictures of my outfits. We'll see. The camera and I don't have a very good relationship. Enjoy the weekend and thanks to Tine and also to Leslie for the great topic!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb - the hat is BEAUTIFUL!!! You better post pictures - I want to see the entire outfit!!! Nice job!! Have fun!

love d

Ouissi Gresty said...

Beautiful hat...I love & own loads of vintage clothes...my mother has always said I was born in the wrong era!! Outfit sounds wonderful...you'll have to post pictures...

Ouissi x

kate_always said...

This looks like fun! Please post photos of the event!

Anonymous said...

What a kick to see your hat and the write up mentioning me in your blog! Your embellishments really did turn out beautifully; which day did you wear the outfit? -QK