Sunday, September 03, 2006

Illustration Friday - Safe

Not quite finished - still deciding if I’m going to add a shark fin :-), But since my illo for last week’s IF of “run” is still sitting on my work table, I knew if I didn’t publish this in the next 45 minutes it wasn’t gonna happen.

The first thing that popped into my head when I read IF’s topic of “safe” was last month when we took our standard poodle pup to a river to hopefully get her to swim. What the smart little cuss did was instead of swimming when the water got deep, was to try to climb up Len.
This is one of those illos that started as a pencil sketch. As some of you know I’m still engaged in the struggle to go from pencil sketch to finished product. This is another case of it. I picked my strange color scheme from the cover of an old “Wired” magazine. A brown poodle is pretty boring. Still needs a lot work – perhaps even a new color scheme, or starting over from scratch :-). The struggle goes on…

11 comments:

Jana Bouc said...

This is hysterical! Great drawing and funny take on the theme!

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

Great colors! Great textures! And a really terrific take on this week's theme! I really enjoyed this!

Tony LaRocca said...

It'll get worse when the dog has to go to the bathroom... :)

the enigma said...

ha-ha, funny!

Going For Greatness said...

As soon as I clicked your blog link from my favourites, it popped up and made me giggle. I knew the story, of course, because I am a daily reader of yours! :)
The look on Len's face here is just hysterical! I LOVE that Penny is red here. She really wears it well. She looks like a diva who's simply stating that water and her lovely locks just DON'T MIX! You see, she's trying to be polite about it but Len will just have none of it. HAHAHAHHHAHAH!
Her back leg on Len's head is just SO FUNNY! I dunno why but I just found that to be so incredibly FUNNY because that's exactly what it would truely look like! Made me giggle for sure!!
XO XO XO
Gabi

Michelle Lana said...

hahaha...great work! funny.

AscenderRisesAbove said...

The texture on this looks like fabric; nicely done - a scaredy dog...

I will love to trade links with you; I will bookmark you and add you tomorrow when I add a new post; thanks :-)

kerrip said...

love the colors you chose! Penny looks good in so many colors. I think this particular transition from pencil to color went very well... I like the idea of the shark fin too!!

DEW said...

yep - the shark fin needs to go in there for sure!! And she's a bright fluorscent orangey sort of red color. My scanner is getting SOOO bad. It came out so flat looking. Penny has lots of detail you can't see.

Anonymous said...

I love both renditions. I don’t think it needs the shark fin—I know Penny is just too unsure of the whole deep water thing. Nothing depicts safety as well as being high and dry! -QK

Christy Beckwith said...

this reminds me of my dog :) I also saw that you like Terry Pratchet. Me too! The Last Continent is my fav. Good luck to you :)