Sunday, September 10, 2006

Illustration Friday - Farm

Ever since we "bought the farm" it has felt like this. We don't own a farm - it owns us. As do all our creditors! :-) Just for the record, I did tweek the colors. Our house is NOT pink, but I had to make it pink because of JCM's "Little Pink Houses", our barn is actually more the color of the background, and our tractor is blue, not green (couldn't afford a John Deere). A bit of "artistic license" at work!

Update: I was asked about the "technique" I used and didn't think to include it because it was nothing fancy. The elements were drawn on watercolor paper in ink colored with Lycras crayons. The background is just torn pieces of bills, workman comp and tax forms glued down with gel medium and coated over the top with a wash of acrylics. Then I just gel mediumed down all the pieces and put weight on top until dry.

17 comments:

Ellen said...

Excellent! I really appreciate the symbolism here! I grew up on a farm myself.

himavant said...

this is very nice. it would also be nice if you share the technique.

great start of the week!

Going For Greatness said...

Debbie, you surely have WOWED us with this one! I LOVE this! I grew up on a horse ranch out west. I can empathise with you 100%~~!!
LOVE Mac up there balancing the dollar sign... Poor Len! LOL!!
XO XO XO!
Gabi
PS - if you emailed me, I'm SO SORRY!! I havent checked my email in days! I know.. I'm SO bad!

Colorsonmymind said...

This is so colorful and creative. I have always wanted to live on a farm, but I can imagine the work could be a huge weight.

jordan said...

Thanks for the warning.

Michelle Lana said...

This is great!!! Love it!

ValGalArt said...

Debbie I love this!!!

Tiger Mouse said...

I love your collage/drawing - my particular favourite bit is the horse perched there with a dollar sign on his nose!

the enigma said...

funny! lovely collage.

kerrip said...

love the background collage of farm-related paperwork, and of course, you sense of humor shining through this whole collage. wonderful!!

hemelsgroen said...

Hahaha, cool picture... and funny story too.

himavant said...

hi debbie, your technique is special. i learned about gel medium to put on papers. i should try myself to create different effect of background.

thanks for sharing!

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

This is a nice piece. I love the texture.

Thanks for your kind feedback and encouraging words! "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."

I'm just starting to explore collage and more mixed media type stuff and am enjoying the creative time NOT spent on my computer.

And "The Fifth Element" rocks!

Ouissi Gresty said...

I love this...made me smile! whats life without a bit of artistic license??

Ouissi x

ps have done a couple of sympathy cards and will look at putting them & a couple based on statues on the blog & etsy after sunday's fair...will let you know....

carla said...

This is superb! You've carried the theme throughout with the imag and the backgrond...there's no doubt about its message! Charming piece with humor and style.

Alina Chau said...

Love your collage style!

sandra said...

Debbie! I can finally link to your blog! Your illustration is awesome. I love your take on "farm" - especially because it is so personal for you. You have got to keep going with all your painting, drawing and collage. I am really enjoying your blog. Keep it up!!