Sunday, September 17, 2006

Illustration Friday - Change

Can a zebra "change" his stripes?

... Apparently so!

This collage was created from the pencil sketch that I drew on Friday. I had a couple ideas. One was the "wind of change" which I couldn't quite figure out how to do. Excellent Photoshop project if I had the knowledge - I would make a wind comprised of coins. Then I settled on either "can a leopard change his spots" or "can a zebra change his stripes." I liked the leopard in that I would paint a very smug looking leopard with wild colored spots. Then I thought it would be funnier to show the process of a zebra changing his stripes using an Acme style kit. I thought that the zebra was too plain with as few stripes as I had in the pencil sketch and put in more on the collage. I think it was a mistake. It's now not as obvious what is going on. Live and learn!

The technique I used was acrylic paints on water color paper for the zebra. The mirror face and tweezers where made from thin metal "paper", the loose stripe is a sliver of leather thong, and the "kit" is cardstock and fiber. The background is Claudine Hellmuth's Elmer glue crackle technique. I actually made this background in her workshop and I liked the coloring with the zebra. It was fun but I should have left off more stripes!!

BTW I did start to heat transfer David Bowie's lyrics to "Ch-ch-ch-changes" but didn't like how it looked (see upper left hand corner). It would have muddied the colors and I like the bright red peaking out...

13 comments:

Baron Ectar said...

Very nice job! Do you sell your artwork?

the enigma said...

lovely collage! the color are so wonderful...! great job.

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

What a fun idea, and beutiful hand-made result. This rocks.

Esther said...

Haha, Funny, I'd been thinking of doing the same with a dalmatian dog.. ;-) ( Bowie was on my mind while I was making mine ) I like the way you worked it out ! and thnx for your command

Doug said...

Great image! I'd say you definitely nailed it.

Adrian Ropp said...

Great style!

Ouissi Gresty said...

This is so funny...beautiful colours with the red showing through the blue...love the look on his face!

Have put my cards on etsy...let me know what you think...

Ouissi x

Ellen said...

You and I share the same sense of humor! Though I like your idea better! AWESOME take on the topic!

madmyke said...

nice work, I thought of leopard changing its spots but I settled on Bones McGill. Nice work. Love your blog.

Jules said...

Great!

Going For Greatness said...

This is super cute! it makes ya think!!! The zebra looks very serious and intense. He's really concentrating!! ;)
XO
Gabi

Shano said...

Very cool! And funny! I really like your choice of colors, and the way he's tilting his head back to get a better view. Silly zebra!

Anonymous said...

This is very clever! I don’t know where you get these creative inspirations! You really are amazing to me because you have such a strong creative side and yet you do so well with the concrete ideas of science. Amazing! -QK