Saturday, August 05, 2006

Studio Friday - Your Creativity Roots

"I just thought about that the other day, that I have my creativity from both sides of my parents. Both my grandma's are/were inspired and creative. Does it run in your family too? And from who did you have it or better who else in your family was/is creative. Mom/dad/Grandma/grandpa/uncle/aunt/......-" -anke

Here I am at another Studio Friday topic that I already shot my wad on. For the SF topic of "Family" I didn't have family "treasures" to exhibit, so I spoke about my family's non-physical treasures - the traits I inherented from both my parents and all the support that they gave me in every aspect of my life. I needed someone to counter the very loud inner critic I was born with. I won't repeat myself here.
So I'm posting a picture that I made when I was around four years old and my father framed and kept on the wall, even after I was long gone from home. This is actually a color copy that he made and gave to me when he was in his 80s. Not quite certain why he did it. He wasn't a very sentimental man - that made the act even more touching. My Mom still has the original. I keep this in a folder of the only remaining art that I have from when I was younger. I would regularly destroy my work because it wasn't "good enough." My Dad did rescue a few pieces out of the garbage and I found them when I was cleaning up his work room after his death. I present this picture for your amusement. I guess even back then I knew that I would end up with a golden pony with a white mane and tail. :-)

4 comments:

Ouissi Gresty said...

This is so sweet! It is lovely that your father kept so much of your work...must have meant a lot to him...

Ouissi x

Anke said...

Hey, this drawing is good considering the age you draw it! I like it! I wasn't able to draw like that in that age and now I don't think either! Your father must have been a great person and he must have believed in your artistic side! So believe in yourself too and calm the inner critic down ;)

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you drew the picture of the horse, tree, birds, etc. when you were only 4 years old. That’s totally amazing. I would have thought this was done by a ten year old. You were obviously born with this talent. I’m sure at 4 years old I wasn’t even coloring within the lines (not that I do now!) QK

kerrip said...

Debbie, I must confess that I did not look closely at this picture when you first showed it to me, as I was too preoccupied with our work... but I also think this is an absolutely wonderful piece of art. The details around the cardinal's eyes, that make him really look like a cardinal, instead of just a red bird, and the number of characters in this composition is truly amazing. I love the way all of the animals are looking up or jumping up. The whole piece has such joy and life and movement, just like you. It really does seem to be a glimpse into your future on the farm, too!