Saturday, August 05, 2006

Illustration Friday - Capture

Very interesting topic. So many ideas came flying into my brain. I decided to change my approach for this week and go to the table with no specific idea - just see what evolved. It also happened that Friday I had one of my treasured artist dates with my wonderful friend/partner in crime, Kerri. Kerri had a wonderful post on some cool mixed media techniques using Misty Mawn's techniques as described in Cloth Paper Scissors. I definitely wanted to give the techniques a whirl. We prepared two backgrounds and I collaged both. I'm not finished with the collages, I like to take photos before I do the next step - the step at which I typically screw them up. Misty has a cool technique of using Never-Dull to age the collage. I tend to be heavy handed and there is a high potential that I will indeed, screw them up.

Why are there two you ask? Well, the first one I did for the theme I felt wasn't quite "right". The lasso (I even looked up how to make a lariat knot) looks more like a belt than a lasso "capturing" her. I started the second collage and was thinking about what to put in her hand. That's when I can across a lens in my collection of goodies and the face evolved. She looked captured - but then who is capturing who? Taking photos of this piece was a real @$*%#. The contrast came out really strange. I may need to completely revamp the second piece. I plan to finish these two "capture" pieces and want to post whatever happens (the good, the bad, or the ugly) in the future. So you got two for the price of one this week :-).

13 comments:

Diane Duda said...

These came out great! I have the "Misty Mawn" issue, too, but haven't tried her technique yet. The first one is more the style I like...both are lovely.

AscenderRisesAbove said...

beautiful!

JO said...

These are both lovely, love collage and your color choices.

Michele said...

I absolutely love these!

L. A. Stern said...

There is something really magical about both of these pieces. Your collage techniques are great. Thanks for sharing them. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your really fine art!!

cheers,

Linda

claudine hellmuth said...

wonderful collages!

surrealmuse said...

the second one is definitely more align with the theme, but they are both beautiful explorations in this new technique. I'll have to read up on it. Thanks for sharing the info.

Going For Greatness said...

these REALLY turned out so well! I can't even imagine the techniques you used . I am a touchy/feely artist and can't really tell what a piece is made of without touching it. These look so full of texture ! I absolutely LOVE your style!!
Awesome!!!!
XO
gabi
ps- the dark doggy on the right looks exactly like my Chinese Crested! Mackie said, "Mommy! Look! It's Balki!!" (that's his name!)

rachel stoleru said...

they are both great, i love the mirror idea.

Da Ghost Prod said...

You have a beautiful style, i really love the second issue barvo ;)

Naru said...

beautiful!!
I love both of these!!!

Anonymous said...

I really like the lady “captured” in the mirror. That’s cool! QK

Anonymous said...

Awesome! beautiful. I enjoyed looking at the collage and the colors you used. Great job Debbie!

EC