Friday, July 14, 2006

Studio Friday: A View from Above

Wow, what a neat topic! The topic was also a coincidence because I was just talking about "views from above" last week. We've been working on getting our Dutch Warmblood (aka "Dumb"-blood) into a therapy pool and we were remarking how weird it was looking down on your horse in a swimming pool! We're use to "looking down" at our horses when riding and driving, but not when we're walking along the edge of a swimming pool. Its a real odd sensation of vertigo!

Well, back to "real" subject: what would my desk look like from above? I'll have to tell you I went into my art area and starting looking at different views trying minimize the mess and clutter. Then I spotted my puppy. She came upstairs as she always does to see what I'm up to and laid down in her usual spot. THAT was my picture because it has a wonderful (well, at least I think so) story behind it.

Penny is the first dog I ever had. We always worked 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day away from the home for decades. Not a fair situation for a dog, dogs are pack animals and need their company. My husband's situation changed and now works from home, so we got a standard poodle puppy. Penny is 2 years old now and she's been such a blessing in our lives. What I find extraordinary (when I'm NOT taking it for granted) is that this lovely creature has spent hours keeping me company while I create art. She's been doing this since she was a few months old. She doesn't bug me to play, she just keeps me company. Every once in awhile she'll come put a chin on my knee and then I'll realize that I lost track of time and spent hours hunched in one position. I remember this when I go to stand up - owweee! I can remember one day looking down at Penny and her butt was covered with bits of beads, ribbon and other flotsam. What a very good and patience little girl!! Thank you Michelle for the great topic AND for making me take the time to remember what a wonderful puppy I have gracing my life!

PS - I was surfing as I was waiting for my blog picture to upload and saw Kerri's submittal - YES - please tell us how to do that in Photoshop so I can make my work table look artistic - not messy! What is that stamp? "I'm not messy, I'm artistic!" :-)

12 comments:

Going For Greatness said...

Aww what a lovie! You're right, dogs are such awesome art companions! My dog, Bailey, is now 14 of 15 years old ( we got her from a rescue group so we dunno how old, exactly she is. I have had her for 13.5 years and she was atleast 6 months old when I got her.....
Anyway, she also hangs out with me in my scraproom and she reminds me now and then that it's time to stretch (because she wants out or a cookie!).
I believe that animals are magnetic to us when we're artistic and calm. It's a serene companionship!
XO
Gabi

Kim Carney said...

What a great space, made better by Penny as your creative companion... My friends have standards and say they are the smartest, best! Thanks for you sweet comments ... fun challenge

irisz said...

Wow, it looks great, with your big help under the table :)))

Thanks to caution me, that my link is wrong... :)

Laura said...

sweet dog, sweet workspace! thanks for checking out MY studio friday, and thanks for letting me enjoy YOURS!

Joy Eliz said...

This is the sweetest picture and post!!! I too have company when I'm in my studio. Its amazing how just them being next to you is so comforting and enjoyable.

Anke said...

What a cute dog!!!! My parents dog is a full family member and we love him all! It's so much fun with him. Great picture by the way!

Ellen said...

A studio dog is so important! Bandit the Wonderdog keeps me company 90% of the time I'm at home, no matter where I am or what I'm doing!

Penny looks like a read sweetheart, and standards are such wonderful dogs. So glad you were able to welcome her into your life!

The swimming horse thing still tickles me! The only time I was up close to horses was the time I encountered a men-only pack trip on a trail in a state park. They looked HUGE as I stood off the trail waiting for them to pass!

kerrip said...

Max is also actually now a wonderful and calm companion in my studio, but if I had gotten up on a chair to take his picture, he would not sit still long enough for me to snap the photo, as you know. And while Penny was always a good, calm dog, it has taken Max the better part of two years to settle down to my routines. I will post the photoshop techinques today, if I can remember all of the steps without going into photoshop!

Dena Simoneaux said...

What a sweet dog!!! my dog hangs out with me in my studio too! what a great photo!!!

Dena ;)

Native Canadian said...

How lovely to have your dog to keep you company! I like the description of her covered in bits of this and that. So funny.
Thanks for the post!

AscenderRisesAbove said...

a fascinating picture; so much to look at and try to understand from this perspective

Stacia said...

My dog and cat both follow me around from studio, to computer, back to studio! Nice to have my "herd" with me :) Cute picture! Cheers!