Friday, July 28, 2006

Studio Friday - Studio Sound

"The vast and various sounds that surround us in our studios and add to our studio experience. What kind of music feeds your creativity while in your studio or, perhaps it's sounds that fill the empty spaces while in your studio." -naomi
I have a very loud and busy life. So oftentimes when I'm in my studio I listen to the sounds outside of my window. In the fall I am "serenaded" by over a thousand geese who stop at our pond on their way from our Canadian good neighbors to warmer southern climes. Since my studio is in the attic, I love the sound of rain on the roof. Even when its a violent storm, it just makes me happy to be up there, warm and cozy and safe as I create.

If it sounds like I'm dodging the music issue, its because I probably am. I absolutely LOVE music, but not very many people I know like my music. At risk of getting zero comments on my posting I'll 'fess up. Lets put it this way, my idea of easy listening is "Metallica Unplugged." Just kidding - well, sorta. My favorite music is Tool (every song on "Lateralus" is incredible), Led Zeppelin, Black Crowes, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Metallica and I have a soft spot in my heart for Ozzy. If I want to be perked up, nothing makes me happier than Sammy Hagar belting out "I want the best of both worlds" or John Mellencamp declaring the he's "not running any more." If I want mellow, I'll go with the "jazz noir" group Morphine or the silky voice and guitar riffs of Cowboy Junkies. If I don't want lyrics, I go with the blazing electric guitar of Joe Satriani or Larry Carlton's smoother than smooth guitar and instrumentals. If I really want inspiration I go with Frank Zappa's album "Shut Up 'N Play yer Guitar" or Rachmaninoff's "Complete Music for Two Pianos" (just to confuse people :->). So yes, I'm mostly a heavy metal, electric guitar solo wailing, kind of girl. But head bangers actually do write some inspired lyrics if you stop to listen. So "Open Mind for a Different View."

7 comments:

naomi said...

Hey......I loved your post and am jealous and drooling over your attic studio with the sound of rain. I had years where my studio sounds were rancid, social distortion, green day and various punk bands.
My kids teen sounds filling up the house with great energy.

Ouissi Gresty said...

The sound of rain outside is lovely if you are warm & cosy...especially on a skylight...love the picture...very beautiful...

Ouissi x

APlanet4Creation said...

Hey! I know Cowboy Junkies. My husband is big into Ozzy & Metallica (he introduce me to both of them). My music is all over the place too. Mostly old stuff. Not very familiar with the new artist anymore.

kerrip said...

I couldn't wait for your entry, because I so wanted to see your list of musical preferences, as I knew what was coming,(sort of). I love it because it's a part of who you are, and I wouldn't want to change that! Rock on, woman! (or whatever you metalheads say) :>)

Shano said...

That's your view? I'm incredibly jealous and simply must hate you now. Hee.

Cassandra Russell said...

The pages inspired by lyrics are so wonderful! Great absraction of something so close to the soul...tc, cassandra

Anke said...

Oh, what a beautiful foto! I can imagine the geese swimming on there. Enjoy listening to your music, everybody had a different taste and that is ok.