Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Okidokie's Swimming Career

...comes to an end before it even got started! This is the closest that you are going to see Oki swimming in a therapy pool!! We got poor little Anni wet for nothing! After seeing how low the walls were on the therapy pool at the harness track, I re-thought through what we were doing. The reason to swim Oki is for strength training/exercise and to give his brain something to do. Oki, as previously mentioned, is a true “Dumb-blood.” When Leanne has ridden him through water – he jumped. I thought about that, the low wall, the fact that Oki likes to spook at various things just for fun, lost a lot of sleep over it, and then decided I felt uncomfortable going ahead with the plan. We don’t want to cause him a new injury while he’s recovering from his surgery. Also, what if he jumped on Anni? He’s bigger and will swim faster – how do I keep Anni with her short little legs in far enough in front of him? I could injure BOTH horses. Last week I asked Leanne what she thought if we didn’t swim Oki. Relief! She was also losing sleep over it!

Oki will still have water therapy though. There is a facility in New Jersey – High Brass Farms – that has a water therapy “stall”. You walk the horse into it, close the door, and then fill it up with water. There is a trend mill in the bottom so the horse walks against the resistance of the water. We’ll do that the month before we put him back to work so that his muscles will be somewhat in condition. It will make it easier on him.

3 comments:

AscenderRisesAbove said...

wow; it is amazing how they design things for rehabilitation...

Going For Greatness said...

Ooo a stall that he can walk into, not knowing about the water? VERY cool! yep I think that's his key to recovery! I was wondering about the swimming pool and hearing about his 'spook-antics' and thinking that he could sure become a clown in there and act out....
I'm glad there's another way! I can't wait to see photos of the water stall!!
XO
Gabi

Laura said...

Thank you for visiting my blog. I totally enjoyed my visit to yours... love all the horse illustrations! :)