Sunday, July 09, 2006

Let's Put it to a Vote



UPDATE: Thank you for your votes! I'd still love to "hear" from new voters. I decided to go with the pencil sketch BUT I'm going to try to make a color version that looks like me. I'll get to it eventually...thanks everyone!



I finally got around to creating a thumbnail for my profile. I love the shot of Mac and in all honesty my animals are way better looking than I am: however, I feel that I do want something that is a bit more personal. I did a quick sketch of myself and then I turned it into a "color" version. Then I hit a dilemma. Which one should I use?

I certainly wanted to go with the color version since it is more "grabbing," especially when its shrunk down. The dilemma is that I am just better in my signature medium - pencil. The pencil sketch has more personality than the color version which is "dead." As I've posted before, I still have a ways to go in making the transition from the sketch to a final color product. In addition, the pencil sketch looks like me. People could recognize me from that sketch. I'm not so certain with the color version.

I was sitting in my attic art room pondering this and thought - hey! I have to post my picture in order to pull it into my profile so I'll just throw it out to my readers. So please leave your feedback and I'll make my decision with all of your input. Thank you!! PS - I can easily fix that little blip on the color version in Photoshop. I also can redo the color version. And yes, you can always vote for Mac. :-)

7 comments:

kerrip said...

Although I don't think the color version is flat, I think the pencil sketch looks just like you!!! and I don't see 'you' when I look at the color version, so I'm voting for the pencil sketch. I wonder if you could enhance the pencil sketch with colors in photoshop so that you add color without altering the 'you-ness' of it???

melanienyc said...

i vote color. i think the color version has personality.

DEW said...

Kerri - I don't know if I can do that or not. I'm not as Photoshop savy as I'd like to be. I think I'm hearing so far that I need to do another color version that looks more like me :-). I'll ponder that...

Shano said...

I'm sure you're just as colorful and as vibrant as your thumbnail. Definitely a person of interest! (That goes without saying to another horsey girl.)

Going For Greatness said...

maybe the colours just aren't YOU, because I don't feel any flatness, so to speak (though I have never seen you as Kerri has, she's a much better judge at which one actually works and which doesn't.
I am a black and white sketch type girl so I lean towards the pencil sketch. How cool is that?! you can draw a sketch of yourself! I may have to sit down and give it a try, though I couldn't draw a squiggle to save my life! HA!
~Gabi

AscenderRisesAbove said...

I think the image preference depends on the end use of the illustration. i am a huge fan of white space... but color is great if there isnt a lot of other color on the page. the color would be a great little icon to use for your profile

Anonymous said...

I think the pencil sketch does look more like you than the colored version (it looks spunky!). QK