Friday, June 30, 2006

Studio Friday - Time/Timing



"When we are in our studios. I find that I can't be in there everyday. Particularly when I have just finished something I feel drained and need a good break. I also find that there are only certain times of the day where the juices get flowing. I'd be interested to read/see what others think."

I needed to read this thought provoking topic several times (no pun intended) before I decided what aspect of time Jo was considering when writing it. I rarely have time to get into my studio so I usually can’t wait to get in there. Although sometimes when I do finally arrive I find that all my ideas have leaked out of my brain. Thank God for my journals.

I identify with Jo’s comment about the “drained” feeling after a big project. With me its a bit more not the studio I don’t want to go back into, but that I don’t want to “ever make another Japanese stab binding book for the rest of my life!” feeling. Whenever I feel drained that way - I “change-the-subject”. If I’ve been making books and working mostly with paper, scissors and glue, I’ll switch to acrylics or clay. Bookbinding typically requires more precision and is less forgiving: if the expensive Japanese paper doesn’t glue down perfectly the first time you don’t get a second chance. I have to be in the correct frame of mind for that type of work. So I’ll definitely switch to something like collage where I can merely paste something over a mistake or play with pastels: they are both totally free form mediums with no rules what so ever.

Now juice flow. There’s a real tough one to verbalize. I get inspirations at the oddest times and am not consistent. Its like a cosmic ray has to strike a certain brain cell to initiate a creative chain reaction. That’s why I always have a little journal with me, and now try to carry my iTalk voice recorder in the car. I also find if I’m in a rut that the harder I try to think of an idea, the more evasive it becomes. I’ve had some great ideas strike me in the middle of doing work that require my full concentration. Where was there space in my brain for that random idea to pop out? I don’t try to analyze it any more and take a really short break and write it down (provided I’m in a situation I can). If I’m stuck I will go for a walk with a "empty head". I’ll go check-in with the critters and see what they “tell me”.

6 comments:

Going For Greatness said...

Listening to what the critters tell you is awesome! I can totally relate to that! A lot of the time, when my creativity seems to hit a brick wall, I go outside and sit by myself on the front porch and look at the stars and the night sky and just listen to the crickets, frogs and night critters. It's such a relaxing time for me that I think it jump-starts the creative juices flowing and I can go back into my studio with a nice fresh outlook.
I love the painting you posted today, it's gorgeous and very very inspiring. I think I'm going to run with that them and scrapbook something in either those colours or that style.... I'll see what I can come up with! Have a lovely holiday weekend!!
~ Gabi

naomi said...

Having bound books as well I understand about the precision required. Once completed tho, creating handbound books are one of the most rewarding projects I've attempted.

Cassandra Russell said...

When you feel drained after finishing a project, you know you really put an ounce of your soul into the project. That to me is so satifying and part of what entices me to do the next project.

Ouissi Gresty said...

Thanks for the lovely comments on my blog...I love the silhouettes over the bright rainbow colours in your work...very uplifting!

Ouissi x

Anke said...

Your are right, book binding needs way more precision than collage work. I like collage work better too, it's more relaxing, expressive than exact for an fotoalbum or book binding...

Ellen said...

Your books are truly lovely and inspiring! I can imagine that doing them would get pretty intense after awhile. I, too, find that the more I try to force an idea the more elusive it is. Letting go, being fully present with whatever I'm doing, allowing my mind to wander.......these are the times that the best inspiration hits!