Friday, June 16, 2006

Studio Friday: A-Ha Moment

My "A-Ha" moment came at the end of a "I-hate-this-and-I'll-never-do-it-again" series of moments. I was constructing several starbooks and decided to construct one out of this wonderful petroglyph paper with matching vellum. I'd find some cool petroglyph stamps at my favorite store, make the inserts and have a "rocking" book. I was very excited as I started constructing the piece.
However, after a whole series of technical difficulties that I won't go into here, I started HATING the piece. On top of it all I couldn't find the right stamps and I needed 14 different ones. I was REALLY hating the project. I chucked it on my shelf vowing to try to design some petroglyphs myself and perhaps make them out of clay. Of course I never wanted to look at it again but I had so much effort into it. I was back home in Indiana visiting my Mom and we went to the big public library there - my Mom's favorite place. I wandered into the art section and a book fell off the shelf while I was going through the art books. It was called "Stone Magic" and it was magically filled with wonderful petroglyphs. A-HA!! I checked out the book and spent an evening sketching 24 of the petroglyps and translated 14 of them into clay and wire upon my return home. I fell in love with the little guys and the resulting starbook became my favorite. What brought this episode to mind is Len, my husband, found a used copy of the book and it just arrived this week. The book is in perfect shape and even signed by the author. In addition, we're going to Sedona Arizona this summer for a Claudine Helmuth workshop and one of the sites recorded in the book is within a hour's drive. Since these glyps have become intertwined in my art and life I will be visiting the drawings in person. The photo captures the paper, the pieces and the book. My posting for June 11, 2006 displays a professional photo. I had never imagined the outcome while I was cursing the piece during its earlier stages. That magical book changed the entire project!

13 comments:

firstborn studio said...

i love this!and the way in which you photographed it...beautiful a-ha!

Abbie said...

I think they came out fantastic! And I'm jealous about the workshop!! Have a great time!
:) Abbie

Going For Greatness said...

What a fabulous post for today's topic! THIS is really an "AH-HA" Moment!! It's awesome how it all came together in the end and I look forward to seeing the photos of the places you'll visit on your trip. I have visited a few sites in Arizona and also in Nevada and they are awe inspiring. I love this type of art and look forward to peeking in on your blog to see what beauty you create!
~Gabi

naomi said...

What an awesome Ah-Ha moment and happy accident.

Joy Eliz said...

Oh wow! looks fabulous and sounds like coincidence to me:)

Tracie said...

Wow Debbie! Thast piece is absoultely gorgeous I can see why it is a prized-possession! I love to see everyone's fabulous talents, mine are a mere pitence to all you wonderfully talented ARTISTS!!!

Amy Peterman said...

What a cool story! I love it when things like that happen.

Lisa Marie said...

How kewl! I was in Nevada in Jan. and saw my first petroglyphs in Valley of Fire...they were so neat. I love how you've integrated them into your own artwork.

Kara said...

Wow - that is a beautiful creation! I like your tag line and your blog - I didn't submit this week to SF but I'm out looking around and this was a happy discovery.

firstborn said...

so cool!

Ellen said...

What an awesome experience! Thanks for sharing your story of synchronicity! I have always wanted to travel to Sedona and explore that area. What a wonderful thing to look forward to. Just imagine all the inspiration you will find there...

Pamela said...

This is such a perfect A-ha moment! The whole book thing is too weird. Your art piece is fantastic!

irisz said...

I love these small guys, they look really cool!